- 500g assorted seafood (your choice).
- 16 fresh mussels.
- 2 cups of long grain rice.
- 900 gm peeled tomatoes (tinned is fine).
- 1 large chopped onion.
- 1 good sized carrot (grated).
- 1 teaspsoon of horopito powder
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil (or substitute)
- Sprinkle of kawakawa powder.
- 4 Pikopiko (fiddleheads) salad shoots (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic or teaspoon of crushed garlic.
Place rice in a large pot cover with cold water
Add horopito, avocado oil and mix thoroughly.
Cook for desired time (depending on your type of rice)
In a separate pan - sauté onion, garlic and carrot until tender.
Add tinned tomato.
Bring to boil and place on low element with lid on for 1 hour.
Once rice is cooked lightly sauté seafood in oil.
Cook seafood in your desired way (bbq, oven, fry, bake)
Lightly mix seafood into salsa.
Place the hot rice in a lightly oiled ramekin dish.
Place the tomato and seafood in a soup bowl.
Lightly sauté Pikopiko shoots and cooked mussels in the shell. Finish with a light sprinkle of Kawakawa powder.