In addition to beneficial prebiotics and nutrients, raw honey can also carry harmful bacteria such as Clostridium botulinum. This is particularly dangerous for babies. Raw honey should never be given to an infant less than a year old.
Symptoms of botulism poisoning in infants may include:
- slow breathing
- sagging eyelids
- absence of gagging
- loss of head control
- paralysis that spreads downward
- poor feeding
- weak cry
In adults, symptoms can include an initial short period of diarrhea and vomiting, followed by constipation and more severe symptoms, such as blurred vision and muscle weakness. See a doctor if you experience any of these symptoms after eating raw honey.