Ingredients• 500g of venison stew meat rubbed with Rhayne Horopito Wild Herb Seasoning.
• 4 brown onions, sliced thinly
• 2 beef stockcubes (or teaspoons of Bovril, Marmite or Vegemite)
• 2 carrots & 2 potatoes
• 50g of butter
• 400ml of warm water
- Cut away the silver skin and fat from meat. Cut into pieces mix with Horopito Herb. Heat butter in a crockpot (or pressure cooker), over medium-high heat. Cook meat until lightly browned on all sides. Do not cook through. Remove meat and set aside in a bowl.
- Cook onions, carrots, potatoes, beef stock, crushed garlic and a pinch of salt into the same pot. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until onions are brown. Stirring frequently. Place venison back into the pot with the onions.
- Time to add in 1 1/2 cups of water. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Venison should become very succulent and tender. Check occasionally, add water if necessary. Cook uncovered for an additional half hour to thicken up the sauce. Then you are ready to eat!
Leftovers can be frozen (use snaplock bags - and don't forget to label and date!)