Are you allergic to Nightshades or living the Auto Immune Protocol Diet?
You like the flavours of hot peppers (such as chili peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, chili-based spices, red pepper, cayenne) but aware that they are synonymous with bringing on horrific symptoms?
Horopito is your answer! Horopito has a hot spicy flavour that slowly grows stronger as you taste. Used as an alternative to capsicum/pepper or chilies. In New Zealand it is used regularly to smoke fish, as a seasoning, an infusion for olive oil, a rub for meat, fish and vegetables, or to add to sauces and marinades.
Those with allergies to the Nightshade family, can use this to supplement those flavours. with a unsuspecting ‘wild’ zing and zap on the tongue horopito is the perfect partner as a replacement chili, this pure horopito is the best ever. A sprinkle of Rhayne over everything you eat!
Horopito is a great addition to those on the Paleo or Auto Immune diets being a leaf based spice/herb. Even those that are on protein diets for bodybuilding. It can change the mundane into something much more adventurous. Try it!
- Fabulous poured over smoked fish, salmon, mussels, clams, octopus, squid, raw fish, tuna and scallops
- Dip with or spread over feta, smoked havarti, grilled haloumi, goat and sheep milk cheeses (if you can tolerate dairy)
- Pour over ham off the bone; prosciutto; parma ham; smoked bacon and pork, beef cheeks
- Marinade with chicken or lamb ribs and slow cook
- Great spice to asian foods
- Adds complexity and depth to vegetarian fare – tofu, stir-fry, avocado, daikon, kumara, watercress, glaze carrots